It consists of 9 patch blocks, the 9 in the middle are stack and whack pieces, the outer 18 blocks are the remainder of the centre fabrics with two shades of blue to give a chequerboard. I added a 10 inch strip to the top and bottom and a fleece backing with wavy line quilting in a variegated blue thread. This gave interest to the navy strips. Navy binding finished it off. With hindsight, a wonderful thing, I should have used a navy frame to add definition to the central section. Although I may think it could have been better I am pleased with the result, and think despite the amount of blue it may appeal to a girl as well as a boy.
I have also been making a few garments, mainly tops and trousers for myself. I did have a request from my husband for a summer shirt, this is the result;
It looks very smart when he is wearing it, better than the picture - it was on a square trouser hanger. I love the fabric, cotton cheesecloth, it was lovely to work with.
At the start of Lock-down I signed up to Pinterest and have spent some time browsing there. Lots of ideas for all sorts of projects are pinned, never going to get round to doing them all. I came across The Patchsmith and decided to buy one of her books;
It makes 6 inch blocks, I thought they might be a bit small, but the two I have made so far are gorgeous. I have adjusted them to mug rug size and plan to donate them to the Lullingstone Quilt Exhibition tombola (region 2 QGBI). Hopefully this will take place at the end of September.
I think I will be making more of these blocks as they are quick to make, an afternoon each mat, so may be a whole quilt is possible.