I bought these charm squares a couple of years ago at Sandown, I had plans to make a quilt using them with a jelly roll I had, but decided I didn't like the colours together or the design I had come up with. The two jelly roll quilts I made for Linus appeared in my previous post.
|Charm square bag W18 x H13 x D9 inches|
January 2020 saw these projects completed;
A Linus quilt using up the remains of the charm squares as pinwheel blocks I saw this design in a library book 'Little Quilts' by Sarah Fiekle and Amy Lobsiger. As I started with 5 inch squares for the pinwheels, my quilt was larger - 8.5 inch blocks. I ruined 2 star blocks trying to satin stitch the sharp points, so I decided to use one of the patterns on my sewing machine, a vermicelli style stitch instead. It did the job and cut out the frustration of satin stitching sharp points. I enjoyed making this one and will use the pattern again.
I made several smaller projects during January, including
|A tea cosy for the Bowls club|
|A collapsible thread catcher as a birthday gift|
|A humbug bag as a birthday gift|
The tote bag is one of three I made from a series of panels a friend gave me last year. I used an old curtain and it's lining for the rest of the bag, and backed the pieced panel with an old sheet. Three repurposed bags.
In February I decided to do some clothes making. I had a previously used Burda blouse/tunic pattern that I felt needed altering to make construction easier. I made a blouse with the alterations, it turned out very well. I also had a pattern from Tilly and the Buttons for an Orla blouse, bought because I liked the shaping used in this garment. I made a toile for this one as I had not used this make of pattern before. It needed some minor alterations before using a V&A fabric - seaweed - to make it up. Again a successful outcome. I also made another T shirt from a McCalls pattern that I have used several times. I am really enjoying making clothes, especially when they come out well. I also made a table runner from a pattern I bought last summer at Sandown from a company called OliVen, I liked the unusual shape.
|Waving table runner - the edge is a bit too wavy, room for improvement|
|Orphan block quilt for Linus|
I also made a small wall hanging from some hand dyed wool felt squares and stranded cottons from 21st Century Yarns. Again I have had these for a couple of years, I had even worked out what I wanted to do with them. I had used stamps and metallic paint to print circles and flowers on to them. I then used the embroidery thread and lots of beads and sequins to embellish them. I stitched them on to a piece of acrylic felt to give the hanging more body. It's a bit OTT, but I love it.
|Felt wall hanging|
|Batik bird quilt|
|Postage stamp scrappy quilt|
I did a bit more clothes making, a tunic and two pairs of trousers. I made toiles for the two styles of trouser, as I never can get trousers that fit comfortably at the waist. The adjustments I had to make have resulted in two pairs of well fitting trousers. I will definitely be making more now I have the fit right. I also finished a second Easy Stack quilt from the Paula Doyle workshop I did with Linda Seward last summer. It looks very nice, when I have a decent picture I'll show it.
Lastly, when watching the TV in the evening, I have been crocheting blankets for Linus in an effort to reduce my yarn stash. After three blankets using a Closed Shell pattern, it has gone down a bit.